We are officially a month away from spring. You might have already noticed that the weather has warmed up a little bit, and the days have certainly gotten a little longer. It’s only a matter of time before you’ll be outside wearing shorts with the flowers blooming in the background. If you have spent the last few months on the couch hibernating, don’t worry. You still have time to get back into a running program so you’re ready for 5Ks and other runs this spring.
Sameer Thakar is a regular runner, and he has prepared for a variety of different races over the years. He understands that you don’t just get off the couch one day and you’re ready to run a 5K. That’s why there’s an app dedicated to preparing for a 5k called “Couch to 5K.” The following are a few tips Sameer Thakar would recommend to safely get back into a running routine so you’re ready to go by spring:
- Check with Your Doctor to Make Sure You’re Healthy Enough to Complete a Run
- Create a Schedule and Stick with the Schedule as Close as Possible
- Buy the Proper Running Shoes
- Sign Up for a Race Later in the Spring/Summer to Provide You with the Motivation
- Don’t Rush into Running.
- If You Feel Bad One Day, It’s Okay to Start Slow and Walk
- Join a Running Group
- Take Advantage of Warmer Days in the Winter Months to Go Outside
- Eat Right
- Get Enough Sleep Every Night